Choosing the perfect username for your Instagram account is the first and definitely one of most important things to do when building a successful following.
But before we get into the details, you first need to decide what kind of account you’re going to build. Here are the four main types of accounts:
- Personal account – this is your regular private account where you post whatever you feel like
- Brand account – this is an account hosted by a certain brand
- Personal brand account – this is an account that represents a personal brand such as Instagram Influencers or musicians
- Fan Page – this is a community page where you share content about a certain topic (for example exotic cars)
If you want to grow a big following and monetize it you should only pick one of the bottom three options!
DOs for the perfect Instagram username
- Save an unique username that obviously isn’t taken yet
- Make it easy to remember
- Keep it as simple as possible
- Come up with a short username
DON’Ts when picking the perfect username
- Do not use special letters such as underscores
- Don’t just use a known username with an added number
- Don’t include numbers or any other symbols
- Don’t use bad language
- Don’t use trend words
Just try to find the best username that will describe your Instagram account best. But don’t overcomplicate it! Sure many nice usernames are already taken, but with a little bit of creativity you can definitely come up with something great!
Oh and once you’ve picked a good username, make sure to use it across all your social media channels so it’s easier for users to find you there.
If you found this article helpful and want more tips on how to build a big following on Instagram, check our free blog for regular updates.